- Horse Racing Chat

Always at the races

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-09 17:03:58

racecaller
Administrator
Join Date: 2007-07-05
Posts: 6961

STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

The Stewart Family Thank You Gold Cup (formerly sponsored by Boylesports and several others) takes place at Cheltenham on Saturday, 14th December. It is a grade 3 handicap chase, run over 2M 5F. Usually many horses that contested the Paddy Power Gold Cup in November run in this and 5 of the last 8 winners of this had made the frame in the Paddy Power Gold Cup on their previous start.


Below we take a look at trends for the past 10 runnings (2002 to 2013):

 

Age (Win-Place-Runners)

4yo: 1-0-1

5yo: 0-3-7

6yo: 4-7-27

7yo: 4-6-34

8yo: 1-8-33

9yo: 0-2-27

10yo+: 0-0-17

Horses aged 4 to 7: 9-16-69

Horses aged 9 or older: 1-10-77

6 & 7 year olds have the best records. Between them they have won 8 of the last 10 renewals from approximately 41.8% of the total runners.

Horses aged 9+ have gained no wins and just 2 places from 44 runners since 2002. You have to go back to 1993 for the last 9yo winner and 1974 for the last winner aged older than 9.

 

Breeding

French bred: 8-11-54

Irish bred: 2-14-60

British bred: 0-1-26

Other: 0-0-6

French bred horses have won 8 of last 10 runnings and they have represented just 37% of total runners. All French bred winners were aged 7 or younger.

 

Weight (Win-Place-Runners)

Horses carrying 10-13 or more: 5-9-62

Horses carrying 10-12 or lower: 5-17-84

No very strong trends on weight carried by the winners.

Record of top weight: 4P4P5PR9102P (1-1-12). Poquelin won the race in 2010 under top weight, though had a claimer taking 5lbs off.

4 of the 5 runners to carry a penalty since 2000 have been placed.

 

Official Ratings

Horses rated 145 or higher: 5-12-71

Horses rated 144 or lower: 5-14-75

No huge bias on official ratings over the past 10 years, however if we focus on the past 6 renewals:

Horses rated 145 or higher: 5-9-47

Horses rated 144 or lower: 1-7-44

 

Recent/Past Form

10 of 10 winners had run 1 to 3 times that season

9 of 10 winners posted RPR of 142+ last time out

8 of 10 finished in the first 3 last time out

9 of 10 winners ran in past 45 days

9 of 10 winners had previously contested 6 to 14 chases (exception had run in 3)

10 of 10 winners had previously won 2 to 4 times over fences

9 of 10 winners had run in 4 or less handicap chases (exception was Poquelin winning it for a 2nd time in 2010)

10 of 10 winners had won no more than 2 handicap chases

6 of 10 winners were 2nd season chasers (3 exceptions were 3rd season chasers & other was a first season chaser)

9 of 10 winners had won or placed in a graded chase (exception was a novice that had yet run in a class 1 chase)

7 of 10 winners had won or placed in a class 1 chase at Cheltenham

 

Other Races

Littleworth Handicap Chase winner (Kapga De Cerisy): 13 (1-1-2)

Pendil Novice Chase winner (Grandioso): 6BP (0-0-3)

Silver Trophy Chase winner (Champion Court): 500 (0-0-3) 

Record of horses that won or placed in Paddy Power Gold Cup: 47021BP10PP561650U12 (4-2-20)

Record of horses that won or placed in Rewards4Racing Novice H'cap Chase: 3184U1 (2-2-6)

Record of highest placed finisher from Arkle Novice Chase: 1B219462 (2-3-8)

Record of highest placed finisher from Ryanair Chase: F919 (1-0-4)

5 of 10 winners (5 of last 8) ran in the Paddy Power Gold Cup, finishing 31252

2 of 10 winners ran in the Wayward Lad Novice Chase, finishing 1F

2 of 10 winners ran in previous year's Steel Plate & Sections Novice Chase, finishing 37

7 of 10 winners ran at the Cheltenham Festival (2 Arkle, 2 Rewards4Racing Nov H'cap Chase, 1 Grand Annual, 1 RSA, 1 Coral Cup & 1 Ryanair)

5 of 10 winners contested a chase at that year's Aintree Festival

 

Trainers

Paul Nicholls (3-6-20) saddled Poquelin to win the race in 2009 & 2010 and Unioniste last year. He has had a winner or placed finisher in 8 of the last 9 runnings.

Nicky Henderson (3-0-12) has also trained 3 of the last 10 winners of this.

David Pipe (1-2-14), Philip Hobbs (1-1-5) & Jonjo O’Neill (1-1-6) have each saddled a winner and a placed finisher in past 10 runnings.

Nigel Twiston-Davies (0-3-13) has saddled 3 placed finishers from 13 runners since 2002.

Irish trained horses (1-2-27) have gained 2 wins and 2 places from 20 runners since 2000. Both winners were 8yo second season chasers that had run in a graded novice chase at that year’s Punchestown Festival.

 

Price

7 of 10 winners were priced between 7/2 and 8/1, however 3 of last 7 winners were sent off 16/1 or bigger.

Favourites (1-3-10) don’t have a great record in this race. In 2009 Poquelin became the first winning favourite since 1996.

 

Summary:

Based on the trends from the past 10 years you are looking for a horse:

- French bred aged 6 or 7

- Officially rated 145+

- Run 1 to 3 times this season

- Finished in the first 3 last time & posted an RPR of 142+

- Ran in the last 30 days

- Run in 6 to 14 chases (winning 2 to 4)

- Run in 4 or less handicap chases (winning no more than 2)

- 2nd or 3rd season chaser

- Previously won or placed in a class 1 chase at Cheltenham

- Won or placed in a graded chase

- Finished in first 5 in Paddy Power Gold Cup

- Ran in 2013 Arkle or Rewards4Racing Novice H'cap Chase

- Trained by Nicky Henderson or Paul Nicholls

Offline

 

#2 2013-12-09 17:09:31

bishbash
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2012-03-10
Posts: 20741

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

This is one i have been looking at for the last three days should be quite easy to narrow down when finals come through still 35 runners last night

Offline

 

#3 2013-12-09 17:12:47

bitchy
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2011-02-23
Posts: 974

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

Stewart Family Thank You Gold Cup (a Handicap Chase)
£100,000 added, 4yo plus, 2m 5f, Class 1
18 entries
Going: Good

FormHorseAgeWtTrainer
24251-0Champion Court (IRE) 28811-9M Keighley
444-541Noble Prince (GER) 37911-6Paul Nolan
6/U-0426Gauvain (GER) 281111-3P J Hobbs
311PB-1Kapga De Cerisy (FR) 35511-2Miss V Williams
2110-01Cantlow (IRE) 15811-0P R Webber
14-P0F2Easter Meteor 15711-0Miss E C Lavelle
6033-11Johns Spirit (IRE) 28611-0Jonjo O'Neill
51211-3Grandioso (IRE) 15610-13P F Nicholls
2/2425-2Colour Squadron (IRE) 28710-12P J Hobbs
1522-20Tap Night (USA) 28610-11Miss Lucinda V Russell
011201/Salut Flo (FR) 639810-10D Pipe
5P513-3Home Farm (IRE) 35610-9A L T Moore
23100-1Silver Roque (FR) 32710-9F M O'Brien
22102-3Ma Filleule (FR) 19510-8N J Henderson
14/563-4Mail de Bievre (FR) 34810-6T R George
330-P24Attaglance 28710-3J M Jefferson
3P-6132Double Ross (IRE) 2279-13N A Twiston-Davies
614-232Sew On Target (IRE) 2989-10C L Tizzard

Offline

 

#4 2013-12-09 17:27:46

bishbash
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2012-03-10
Posts: 20741

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

The Stewart Family Thank You Gold CuP

A fantastic handicap for punters as 24 of the last 27 winners could be found in the first four in the betting though, surprisingly given that stat, just one favourite has won since 1996 so it is no shock to note that 16 of the last 19 winners were placed at worst on their most recent outing as these stats usually go hand in hand. The quality of horse winning this race has certainly increased in recent seasons with winners rated 149, 150, 151, 163, 145 and 143 taking the last six runnings. Compare that to previous years where no winner was rated any higher than 143 between 1998 and 2005. That’s a big turnaround.

Abandoned on three occasions between 1995 and 2008 unsurprisingly this valuable handicap attracts many of the principals that contested the Paddy Power Gold Cup being run over the same track (albeit this time on the New Course) over a trip only half a furlong longer in distance and three horses (Pegwell Bay, Senor El Betrutti and Exotic Dancer) have completed the double. The 2011 winner, Quantitativeeasing, had finished second in the Paddy Power Gold Cup the previous month therefore becoming the first The Stewart Family Thank You Gold Cup winner to improve on a place position in the Paddy Power since Addington Boy 19 years earlier. Walkon only found a four-year-old novice in Unionsite too good when attempting to emulate his feat last season finishing second in both races.

A fantastic handicap for punters as 24 of the last 27 winners could be found in the first four in the betting though, surprisingly given that stat, just one favourite has won since 1996.

The younger horses have dominated of late. Super young last season as it transpired as Unioniste won at the tender age of just four. In fact, there has been no winner aged ten or more since 1974 and only two have made the frame in the last 19 years so they can confidently be overlooked. Furthermore, we have to look back to 20 years until we locate the last successful nine-year-old so I wouldn’t be mad keen on those either. Like so many of Cheltenham’s leading races, previous win-or-placed form at the course has been an important factor. Only the Irish-trained Go Roger Go has bucked this trend since 1992 so unquestionably look to a horse that has proven it can handle Cheltenham's undulations.

As with the Paddy Power Gold Cup, the major southern yards have proven very hard to beat here winning 11 of the last 13 renewals (Ireland winning the other pair) with Nicky Henderson (all with season-season chasers) and Paul Nicholls claiming three runnings apiece.

French-breds have a tremendous record in chase races up to and including 2m5f at the Cheltenham Festival (notably the Byrne Group Plate which is the equivalent race at that meeting with a 50% success rate from approximately 33% representation) and it doesn’t end there as they have won eight of the last 11 runnings of this 2m5f handicap chase. True, they were represented by ten of the 14 runners last season so no surprise they posted a 1-2 but they were previously responsible for less than a third of total runners in the previous decade but still won on seven occasions.  

At a glance summary
RespectThe front four in the bettingFrench-bredsThe Paddy Power Gold Cup winner or runner-upHorses officially rated 145+Trained by a powerful Southern-based stable (notably Nicky Henderson or Paul Nicholls)OpposeYet to post a win-or-placed effort at CheltenhamAged 9+Unplaced on most recent start

Offline

 

#5 2013-12-09 19:12:39

gold digger
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2013-03-26
Posts: 325

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

O.K I'll kick off the usually lively debate on this one! My 2 against the field are John's Spirit 6/1 and Home Farm 12/1. John's Spirit and Colour Squadron are likely to polarize opinions here after the latter's troubled passage in the Paddy Power but for me the former was idling in front and I think he'll confirm the form on worse terms here. In 13 starts Colour Squadren has managed 2 wins, in a bumper and a maiden hdl, he's thrown it more times than a professional Snooker player and I just can't have him.
  I think Home Farm is much the most interesting horse in this. He looks a proper chaser and it was no surprise connections wasted little time over hdls He's only had the 5 starts over fences and has found his form in the last 3 of them. The first one of those, over this trip on soft ground reads very well, a 5 length victory over White Star Line, who amongst 5 subsequent starts has managed to run Felix Yonger to 1 3/4 lengths in receipt of 3lb and a win in the Kerry National. He is now rated 142, Home Farm runs off 143 here.
  In his last start of the season he ran a fantastic race in the Irish National for an inexperienced 6yo, finishing 3rd beaten 3 lengths. As such you might think he'd be a little slow for this but he ran a hugely promising race on his seasonal return over 2m, travelling strongly before getting a little tapped for toe and staying on again to be beaten 3 1/2 lengths by the useful Rupert Lamb giving him 2lb. Based on that run you would say this trip on a stiff track would be right up his street and he moves like a horse who wouldn't mind decent ground, in fact most of his good form has yielding in the description whist he has ran poorly the 3 times he's encountered heavy. I like him!


  

Offline

 

#6 2013-12-09 22:52:41

stu3105
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2013-03-25
Posts: 1146

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

gold digger wrote:


O.K I'll kick off the usually lively debate on this one! My 2 against the field are John's Spirit 6/1 and Home Farm 12/1. John's Spirit and Colour Squadron are likely to polarize opinions here after the latter's troubled passage in the Paddy Power but for me the former was idling in front and I think he'll confirm the form on worse terms here. In 13 starts Colour Squadren has managed 2 wins, in a bumper and a maiden hdl, he's thrown it more times than a professional Snooker player and I just can't have him.
  I think Home Farm is much the most interesting horse in this. He looks a proper chaser and it was no surprise connections wasted little time over hdls He's only had the 5 starts over fences and has found his form in the last 3 of them. The first one of those, over this trip on soft ground reads very well, a 5 length victory over White Star Line, who amongst 5 subsequent starts has managed to run Felix Yonger to 1 3/4 lengths in receipt of 3lb and a win in the Kerry National. He is now rated 142, Home Farm runs off 143 here.
  In his last start of the season he ran a fantastic race in the Irish National for an inexperienced 6yo, finishing 3rd beaten 3 lengths. As such you might think he'd be a little slow for this but he ran a hugely promising race on his seasonal return over 2m, travelling strongly before getting a little tapped for toe and staying on again to be beaten 3 1/2 lengths by the useful Rupert Lamb giving him 2lb. Based on that run you would say this trip on a stiff track would be right up his street and he moves like a horse who wouldn't mind decent ground, in fact most of his good form has yielding in the description whist he has ran poorly the 3 times he's encountered heavy. I like him!


  
I agree about Home Farm,he's a horse i had on my list from last season,i like his very shrewd trainer[Arthur Moore] He's well known for his patient approach in bringing his Horses along slowly and often gets rewarded for that,whatever this Horses does on Saturday,i'm sure he'll improve further as the season goes and would not be at all surprised if he were to land a big pot back home in Ireland,but who know's he may be good enough here,looks a good Each-Way Bet!! My main Bet however goes to the 1 your'e taking on [Colour Squadron] i don't see it as him being unlucky so much,the trip was just a tad too sharp for him in my opinion,was eating up the ground very late on ,must of made up 5 Lengths after jumping the last and got beat 3/4 of a Length,i agree with you totally that he is a bit of a Monkey and does not always put it in,but he's proved some effectiveness over the Course,will surely have the assistance of MCcoy on board this time around,and was actually higher Rated than John's Spirit on Hurdles Ratings,based on those facts alone ,i think that if Colour Squadron turns up in the same frame of mind as he was in the Paddy Power and puts in maximum effort over this extra Yardage with the possibility of the MCcoy drive and will to Win,then it will take a good 1 to beat him this time i feel!! Good Luck Mate!!

Offline

 

#7 2013-12-10 02:04:46

johnny t
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2009-09-18
Posts: 493

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

At 25/1 Silver Roque looks good ew bet after an easy win last time, is on highesr ever mark but still unexposed over this kind of trip

Offline

 

#8 2013-12-10 09:17:31

carlosportsman
Forum Expert
Join Date: 2013-05-16
Posts: 184

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

Anyone give Noble Prince a fair chance? Likely to be top weight though

Offline

 

#9 2013-12-10 10:07:37

gold digger
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2013-03-26
Posts: 325

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

To win this he's going to have to run to around 160 which to do he's going to have to return to something like his very best. I thought the 9lb he went up for winning the last day was very harsh. it was a soft race, without that I'd give him a definite squeak. These races tend to go to the younger more progressive types so at 9 rising 10 I'd give him place claims at best. Cue a resurgent Noble Prince...0

Offline

 

#10 2013-12-10 10:22:50

carlosportsman
Forum Expert
Join Date: 2013-05-16
Posts: 184

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

gold digger wrote:


To win this he's going to have to run to around 160 which to do he's going to have to return to something like his very best. I thought the 9lb he went up for winning the last day was very harsh. it was a soft race, without that I'd give him a definite squeak. These races tend to go to the younger more progressive types so at 9 rising 10 I'd give him place claims at best. Cue a resurgent Noble Prince...0

That was my opinion as well though he looks the best trends match in the race imo, top weight is against him as is the 9lb rise in weights which was baffling in my opinion. Back to the drawing board as can't be having Johns Spirit

Offline

 

#11 2013-12-10 12:29:58

moconnell
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2008-07-04
Posts: 2432

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

Noble Prince is a hard horse to work out, prior to his last run I'd pretty much written him off. Didnt look a great race and would be surprised if he's good enough for this

Offline

 

#12 2013-12-10 15:05:50

stu3105
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2013-03-25
Posts: 1146

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

johnny t wrote:


At 25/1 Silver Roque looks good ew bet after an easy win last time, is on highesr ever mark but still unexposed over this kind of trip
yes i looked at him too,i give him a decent E-way squeek,he could cause an upset,but would have to maybe improve to do so, though that is not impossible and at 25/1 he's worth an e-way bet definitely!!

Offline

 

#13 2013-12-10 22:24:27

buckeyebatter
Forum Novice
Join Date: 2013-06-23
Posts: 34

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

Attaglance has to have a great chance, same mark as the Paddy Power, 10/1 is a snip

Offline

 

#14 2013-12-11 14:55:31

james99
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2009-09-09
Posts: 568

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

Home Farm won't be running, trainer Arthur Moore said: "He didn't scope clean this morning and won't be travelling to Cheltenham for the December Gold Cup."

Offline

 

#15 2013-12-11 16:41:34

stu3105
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2013-03-25
Posts: 1146

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

buckeyebatter wrote:


Attaglance has to have a great chance, same mark as the Paddy Power, 10/1 is a snip
I agree that at 10/1 he looks to be a solid Each-way Bet,but  i can't see how or why he should turn the form around with Colour Squadron when they both met a few Weeks ago in the Paddy Power Gold Cup,especially with this slightly further Distance expected to suit Colour Squadron,more than any other horse!! 6/1 Colour Squadron rates a better Bet in my opinion,rather than chancing a Horse that's only paying 5/2 for a place,and has a good few Lengths/Ground to make up on the Paddy Power Runner up!! Has to be COLOUR SQUADRON FOR ME!! Good Luck though Bud !!

Offline

 

#16 2013-12-11 16:48:47

rightjudgeiam
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2013-03-13
Posts: 408

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

Already backed JOHNS SPIRIT at 8/1


cannot back any that have failed to win a chase and there is a chance he is miles in front of his mark just like two other Jonjo horses Exotic Dancer and Legal Right


pretty sure the winner will have ran in the Paddy Power

Last edited by rightjudgeiam (2013-12-11 18:34:17)

Offline

 

#17 2013-12-11 17:44:10

mrfleamans
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2011-12-19
Posts: 7426

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

If the ground is good, Johns Spirit wins...idled badly in the Paddy Power, value for tons more than the winning margin; Colour Squadron is a better horse on softer.


Jonjo trained Exotic Dancer to win the Paddy Power off 139...followed up in this off 149...Johns Spirit won the Paddy Power off 139 as well....off 148 here...this will be my NAP of the weekend and expect him to win IF the ground is good.

Last edited by mrfleamans (2013-12-11 17:49:46)

Offline

 

#18 2013-12-11 18:34:55

rightjudgeiam
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2013-03-13
Posts: 408

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

mrfleamans wrote:


If the ground is good, Johns Spirit wins...idled badly in the Paddy Power, value for tons more than the winning margin; Colour Squadron is a better horse on softer.


Jonjo trained Exotic Dancer to win the Paddy Power off 139...followed up in this off 149...Johns Spirit won the Paddy Power off 139 as well....off 148 here...this will be my NAP of the weekend and expect him to win IF the ground is good.


yes I agree

Offline

 

#19 2013-12-11 18:36:00

pidgiano
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2011-03-24
Posts: 413

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

I've been a fan of CANTLOW for a while now and if he runs he'll be my bet.

 

High class staying hurdler who finished third to Cape Tribulation in the Pertemps here a few years ago as well as a second to Saint Are in the Grade 1 Sefton Novice hurdle.

 

 

Had a fair season as a Novice chaser and in hindsight the highlight was his 2nd to Sire De Grugy at Lingfield  beaten under two lengths over 2miles, he was receiving weight that day but still a fair effort considering his best form over hurdles was over 3m.

 

Was very well fancied for the Byrne group plate  at the last festival but had his mishap before the race and had to be withdrawn, this big prize could prove nice compensation for the Webber yard.

 

Comes here having won a useful looking race at Newbury beating the likes of Grandioso and Easter Meteor pretty well,

with question marks about the quality of this years Paddy Power and its slow time that Newbury race could prove the key to this.

 

Should run well if given the green light to run.

 

Offline

 

#20 2013-12-11 20:51:00

stu3105
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2013-03-25
Posts: 1146

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

pidgiano wrote:


I've been a fan of CANTLOW for a while now and if he runs he'll be my bet.

 

High class staying hurdler who finished third to Cape Tribulation in the Pertemps here a few years ago as well as a second to Saint Are in the Grade 1 Sefton Novice hurdle.

 

 

Had a fair season as a Novice chaser and in hindsight the highlight was his 2nd to Sire De Grugy at Lingfield  beaten under two lengths over 2miles, he was receiving weight that day but still a fair effort considering his best form over hurdles was over 3m.

 

Was very well fancied for the Byrne group plate  at the last festival but had his mishap before the race and had to be withdrawn, this big prize could prove nice compensation for the Webber yard.

 

Comes here having won a useful looking race at Newbury beating the likes of Grandioso and Easter Meteor pretty well,

with question marks about the quality of this years Paddy Power and its slow time that Newbury race could prove the key to this.

 

Should run well if given the green light to run.

 

I agree,but i placed a £100 Anti-post bet on him for the J.L.T at last years festival,really thought that race would of been his target,given his best form mover Hurdles was over 3 miles and not 2 miles 5 like the Byrne group plate like he was going to run in,seriously got my fingers burnt on this 1,backed at Aintree last season too,practically  brought a share in this horse the amount of dough he's cost me,one of few times i didn't back him ,he Won last time out at Newbury,however i do rate his chances,he's ticks a lot of boxes,but still not entirely sure about this sort of trip,i think he'd prefer 3 miles,think that would improve him,maybe wrong but that is just what i think,i'm a fan of Colour Squadron,he's short enough and does not always put it all in ,however if MCcoy chooses him over Cantlow and Tap Night,then that would speak volumes and would certainly enhance more confidence in his chances,if turning up in same sort of form as he showed he's capable of in the Paddy Power ,then i think he's definitely the 1 they have all got to beat,but it won't be easy as it is a very open Race,so whatever Wins it will have to be at there very best.Good Luck with Cantlow though Mate,Hope you have more Luck with him than i ever did LOL!!

Offline

 

#21 2013-12-11 21:03:52

soviet song
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2012-10-14
Posts: 1317

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

I have always liked CANTLOW,still very few miles on the clock and think he is still very well handicapped despite the 8lb rise for his last time out win.Won with a bit up his sleeve that day and it would be a huge boost for his chances if McCoy picked him over current market leader Colour Squadron.
McCoy is set to make a decision tomorrow morning.If he sticks with Cantlow i cant see his odds of 9/1 lasting too long.

Offline

 

#22 2013-12-11 21:06:58

soviet song
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2012-10-14
Posts: 1317

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

stu3105 wrote:


pidgiano wrote:


I've been a fan of CANTLOW for a while now and if he runs he'll be my bet.

 

High class staying hurdler who finished third to Cape Tribulation in the Pertemps here a few years ago as well as a second to Saint Are in the Grade 1 Sefton Novice hurdle.

 

 

Had a fair season as a Novice chaser and in hindsight the highlight was his 2nd to Sire De Grugy at Lingfield  beaten under two lengths over 2miles, he was receiving weight that day but still a fair effort considering his best form over hurdles was over 3m.

 

Was very well fancied for the Byrne group plate  at the last festival but had his mishap before the race and had to be withdrawn, this big prize could prove nice compensation for the Webber yard.

 

Comes here having won a useful looking race at Newbury beating the likes of Grandioso and Easter Meteor pretty well,

with question marks about the quality of this years Paddy Power and its slow time that Newbury race could prove the key to this.

 

Should run well if given the green light to run.

 

I agree,but i placed a £100 Anti-post bet on him for the J.L.T at last years festival,really thought that race would of been his target,given his best form mover Hurdles was over 3 miles and not 2 miles 5 like the Byrne group plate like he was going to run in,seriously got my fingers burnt on this 1,backed at Aintree last season too,practically  brought a share in this horse the amount of dough he's cost me,one of few times i didn't back him ,he Won last time out at Newbury,however i do rate his chances,he's ticks a lot of boxes,but still not entirely sure about this sort of trip,i think he'd prefer 3 miles,think that would improve him,maybe wrong but that is just what i think,i'm a fan of Colour Squadron,he's short enough and does not always put it all in ,however if MCcoy chooses him over Cantlow and Tap Night,then that would speak volumes and would certainly enhance more confidence in his chances,if turning up in same sort of form as he showed he's capable of in the Paddy Power ,then i think he's definitely the 1 they have all got to beat,but it won't be easy as it is a very open Race,so whatever Wins it will have to be at there very best.Good Luck with Cantlow though Mate,Hope you have more Luck with him than i ever did LOL!!


agree 100% about CANTLOW over 3 miles.i think hes crying out for it over fences.Would like to see him given a forceful ride from the front over 2 1/2 miles.they keep holding him up,but he looks a real stayer.

Offline

 

#23 2013-12-11 21:34:30

pidgiano
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2011-03-24
Posts: 413

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

I think he'll have the gears to cope with the trip, and with horses like Salute Flo, Double Ross and the speedy Mail De Bievre forcing the pace, if he's held up it could be set up perfectly. About time he showed us what he's got hey Stu, and that time you stop backing a horse is the time it rubs your face in it, I think he's the one horse in the race who could go on to be the next Monkerhostin or Exotic Dancer and hold his own in the best staying chases.

Offline

 

#24 2013-12-13 08:14:17

james99
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2009-09-09
Posts: 568

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

Salut Flo ew last run was winning the Byrne Group Plate but Pipe is a master at getting a horse ready after a layoff

Offline

 

#25 2013-12-13 11:31:07

eoinmc
Forum Pro
Join Date: 2007-12-02
Posts: 3691

Re: STEWART FAMILY GOLD CUP TRENDS 2013

14 declared

1     251-72    Champion Court2      8    12-4    Martin Keighley40    Ian Popham     157    151    157
2     U-9426    Gauvain28 t      11    11-12    Philip Hobbs78    Richard Johnson     151    —    —
3     110-91    Cantlow15    8    11-9    Paul Webber44    Robert Thornton     148    129    156
4     4-P8F2    Easter Meteor15    7    11-9    Emma Lavelle80    Aidan Coleman     148    132    155
5     733-11    Johns Spirit28      6    11-9    Jonjo O´Neill58    Richie McLernon     148    127    155
6     1211-3    Grandioso15 t      6    11-8    Paul Nicholls88    Daryl Jacob     147    138    155
7     2425-2    Colour Squadron28    7    11-7    Philip Hobbs78    A P McCoy     146    121    155
8     522-28    Tap Night28      6    11-6    Lucinda Russell43    Peter Buchanan     145    130    161
9     11201/    Salut Flo639      8    11-5    David Pipe32    Tom Scudamore     144    —    160
10     3197-1    Silver Roque32 t    7    11-4    Fergal O´Brien38    Paddy Brennan     143    143    158
11     2102-3    Ma Filleule19    5    11-3    Nicky Henderson59    Barry Geraghty     142    —    —
12     38-P24    Attaglance28 t      7    10-12    Malcolm Jefferson57    Brian Hughes     137    123    157
13     P-6132    Double Ross22      7    10-8    Nigel Twiston-Davies45    Sam Twiston-Davies     133    143    162
14     14-232    Sew On Target29      8    10-5    Colin Tizzard38    Brendan Powell     130    150    159

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB

Message to